What does LT stand for? What does on-carriage mean? What's a time charter?
Shipping jargon and terminology can be confusing. In this section, we explain the meaning of the most commonly used international shipping terms.
If you still need a specific shipping term explained in detail, simply contact your nearest Safmarine office – we’re happy to help.
- Cargo Declaration Amendment Fee
- A fee that covers resubmission of customs information if a customer makes an amendment request after the carrier has submitted documentation to local customs authorities. This fee is applicable on imports to Norway, Switzerland, Puerto Rico, Mexico, Canada, the USA, and the countries of the EU.
- Container Cleaning Fee
- An additional fee covering the costs of extra or special cleaning if a container does not meet cleanliness standards, both inside and outside, upon return from the customer. This service may also be requested by the customer.
- Currency Adjustment Factor
- A compensatory cost-sharing measure to remove a carrier's risks associated with currency fluctuations. A CAF fee is applicable primarily, but not limited to, routes to and from Europe. You can find a full list of routes on which the charge is applicable here. You can see an overview of CAF calculations here.