Weight Discrepancy Fee introduction - Belgium, Germany, Netherlands to World
Effective from 01st August, 2020.
Effective from 1 July 2016, every packed export container is required to have a Verified Gross Mass (VGM) as a condition of loading aboard a vessel. Safmarine supports this requirement as it promotes safety across the industry, including for our customers and their cargoes, landside personnel, and subsequently our employees and vessels.
We would like to take the opportunity to underline the importance of submitting VGM in an accurate and timely manner.
Effective from 1-August-2020, Safmarine reserves the right to charge a Weight Discrepancy Fee (WDF) of EUR 75 per container in any of the below three situations:
- Discrepancy between VGM and weight declared in shipping instruction (Shipping instruction weight + Container Tare weight),
- Declared VGM exceeds Max Gross Weight of the container as per “Container Safety Convention Plate” (excluding Shipper Owned Container), or
- Declared VGM is less than Tare Weight of the container.
We further reiterate the importance of declaring the correct weight via your chosen channels.
The preferred method for submission to Safmarine is through one or any of the digital channels after empty containers gate out as mentioned below;
- Via our website https://www.safmarine.com/
- Via EDI message for customers sending booking or shipping instructions with Safmarine.
- Via service portals such as INTTRA, GT Nexus, and CargoSmart.
We thank you in advance for your continued support, and if you have any questions please reach out to your local Safmarine customer service team.
Together we go places.